To: UT Knoxville Employees
From: Jimmy G. Cheek, Chancellor
Subject: Staff Performance Reviews
The objective of University of Tennessee policy HR0129, Performance Review, is to provide all regular university employees and their supervisors an opportunity to:
- discuss the employee’s job performance
- set goals for professional development
- establish objectives for contributing to the department’s mission.
Non-faculty supervisors and staff need to complete the review process as soon as feasible and have results of the reviews submitted to the Human Resources records office (230 Conference Center Building, Knoxville, TN 37996-4125) by no later than March 30, 2012. The results will be entered into IRIS. Annual performance evaluations are important in providing dialog about expectations and accomplishments. When salary increases are considered and funded, performance reviews are used in merit and eligibility determinations.
A number of resources are available. The university provides training for both supervisors and staff on the process used to complete the reviews. Training sessions have been scheduled for:
- January 24, 9:00 – 10:30 a.m., Shiloh Room, University Center
- January 26, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m., Shiloh Room, University Center
- February 14, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m., Shiloh Room, University Center
- February 17, 9:00 – 10:30 a.m., Room 221, University Center
- March 7, 9:00 – 10:30 a.m., Room 223, University Center
- March 13, 1:30 – 3:00 p.m., Shiloh Room, University Center
To attend one of the training sessions listed above, you must register. For more information or to register for a session, please contact Employee and Organizational Development at 974-6657 or access the training website at http://uthr.admin.utk.edu/TandD/Management_Supervision.shtml. An online course for conducting performance reviews (which can be a good refresher) will be available in February and accessible from the training website.
The updated performance review summary form and instruction form, as well as answers to frequently asked questions, are available at http://hr.utk.edu/performance-evaluation. The revised forms include slight modifications and should be used for all reviews.
Thank you for your participation in this important process. We will be monitoring the results entered into IRIS to ensure that every employee at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, receives a performance review.
c: Chancellor’s Cabinet