Section 300, Proc. 307
Related Policy: HR0310
Related Forms: Survivor Assistance Report, Designation of Beneficiary Form, Final Pay Computation Due to Death Forms, Student Fee Discount for Spouse/Dependent
To establish a procedure for the payment of benefits in the event of the death of a regular university employee who dies while in active pay status.
Who is affected:
Regular employees in active pay status and their beneficiaries.
- The deceased employee’s department notifies Human Resources (HR)-Employee Relations of the date of the employee’s death and the next of kin (if known), and sends an obituary, if available. The department will also process a termination e-form, indicating “death” as the reason for termination (code 40).
- HR-Employee Relations notifies administrative offices, including the Treasurer’s Office and Benefits and Retirement Services, of the employee’s death. HR-Employee Relations also sends a letter to the surviving family offering them the university’s condolences, as well as a Student Fee Discount for Spouse/Dependent. This form will be given to HR-Records when it is returned.
- HR-Employee Relations contacts the executor (if different than the surviving family member) to offer survivor assistance services.
- A Survivor Assistance Report is completed by HR -Employee Relations. Once completed, the report is placed in the deceased employee’s personnel file.
- If the deceased employee has a Designation of Beneficiary form in his/her personnel file, his/her university benefits will be paid according to this form. If no form is on file, the university benefits will be paid to the executor of the estate. An original copy of administrative documents naming this executor must be reviewed by HR prior to processing final payments. In any case, HR -Employee Relations will work with the Payroll Office to disburse the funds.
- To determine the amount of salary to be paid to the beneficiary, HR -Employee Relations completes an appropriate “Final Pay Computation Due to Death” form. Once HR -Employee Relations has completed the calculations and obtained all necessary signatures, the document is forwarded to the Payroll Office.
- Payments of university benefits are delivered to HR -Employee Relations by Payroll. HR -Employee Relations is responsible for disbursing the payments to beneficiaries.
- HR -Employee Relations continues as the beneficiary and survivors’ main point of contact until all matters related to the deceased employee’s university benefits are resolved.