1) Develop a written plan explaining the need for the layoff:
- Identify the unit to be affected Identify the functions within the unit that will be eliminated
- Identify positions to be eliminated by position number, position title, and job title
- Indentify personnel to be eliminated by employee name, personnel number, regular continuous service date, gender, race, and age.
2) Submit the written plan through the proper channels:
- Department Head
- Campus Human Resources
3) Campus Human Resources will obtain the necessary additional signatures. HR will notify the department and college once the appropriate approvals are obtained, in addition HR will send a signed copy to the department.
4) Upon approval by above units/individuals, the department will develop the reduction-in-force letter for the affected employee(s). HR will provide a template.
5) Meet with the affected employee(s), in person, to present the letter and inform the employee of the impending termination. The employee(s) must be given, at minimum, 30 days written notice of the termination.
6) Affected employees will be referred to Human Resources – Employment Unit – for outplacement services.
7) On the appropriate date process the termination e-form to terminate the employee(s). When terminating the employee, insure he/she is paid for all his/her accrued, but unused, annual leave up to the maximum permissible given the employee’s status and years of service. Also process the appropriate documentation to make the vacated position obsolete.
PLEASE NOTE: Under no circumstances will employees be terminated with less than 30 days written notice.