Section 100, Proc. 165
To explain the procedure for creating, changing, deleting, and maintaining the Official Job Title List and the definitions of the terms associated with the list.
What is affected:
Every position must be assigned a job title from the University Job Title list.
1. University Job Title List
This is the official list of all job titles for the university. Human Resources is responsible for assigning a title to each position. The list is available in the Human Resources-Compensation website under Job Families (http://hr.utk.edu/compensation.shtml). The following terms are associated with the job title list.
- Job Family – This is the broadest of the terms and consists of various jobs involving work of the same nature but requiring different levels of skill and responsibility.
- Job Title – Describes in a general way a group of similar positions at the same level.
- Pay Grade – Pay grade defines the point in the hierarchy where the job fits. Refer to Policy/Procedure No. HRO430 Job Classification.
2. Adding, Changing, and Deleting Job Titles
A campus or institute may make a proposal to add, change, or delete a job title, working with Human Resources-Compensation. A committee of representatives from each campus/institute will review the proposal and make a determination. The job title list will be updated to reflect any approved changes.
3. Creating/Changing Positions Through the Eform Process In IRIS
Human Resources-Compensation is responsible for reviewing eforms submitted by departments in the Knoxville Area to create/change a position, including staff, faculty, and student positions.
Once the position has been created/changed in IRIS, an email is generated to inform the department of the creation/change and the eform and any paperwork associated with it are kept in Human Resources-Compensation.