In November 2016, Human Resources will be introducing a newly modeled New Employee Orientation (NEO) program. We are very excited to be able to provide a more welcoming experience on our employees’ first day. Major changes to the NEO include:
- Changing the venue from the UT Conference Center to the UT Visitor’s Center on Neyland Drive (beginning November 14)
- Adding a greeting and welcome from senior leadership.
- Providing new employees with a UT ID card before the end of the session.
- Asking employees to complete the necessary documents needed by Payroll and HR ahead of time, with the exception of the I-9.
- Providing new employees with information about the university and its traditions.
- Creating a less transactional, more dynamic orientation experience.
- Including an optional campus tour.
The information to be shared with the new employees on their first day will include a video and slide show highlighting the traditions and beauty of the campus. The NEO will include short presentations by the UT Police Department, the Office of Equity and Diversity, Employee Organization and Development, Payroll (about insurance), and Benefit and Retirement Services. Both Payroll and Benefit and Retirement Services will have representatives available to address specific individual questions about insurance and/or retirement.
Because most paperwork will have been completed ahead of time and the formal presentations will be abbreviated, orientation sessions will end by 11 a.m., or 11:30 a.m. with the campus tour.
HR anticipates that this new model of NEO will provide UT’s new faculty and staff with an exciting and interactive first step in their UT careers.