Exit Process: Satisfy Debts and Complete Exit Interview
To begin the exit process departments must go to knoxareaexit.utk.edu to initiate the checkout process for clearing debt and returning UT property. Once initiated, exiting employees will receive an email directing them to knoxaareaexit.utk.edu to review the status of their exit.
Please note this process does not terminate employment. Departments must also process an e-form in IRIS to terminate an employee in the system.
Regular employees (faculty and staff) and graduate students who are leaving the University are required to complete the Knoxville Area Exit Process to authorize the release of final paycheck. This should be initiated and completed on or before the employee’s last physical day of work. The exit process involves several departments for completion and ensures the employee has:
1. returned assigned university property, this includes but is not limited to, the ID card for faculty & staff (Dept. to collect ID and return to Volcard Office), parking tag (employee is responsible for ensuring tag is returned to UT Parking Services), equipment, uniforms, etc.;
2. satisfied debts owed to the University; and
3. arranged for release of the final paycheck via direct deposit.
As a reminder, the supervisor should direct the employee to visit the Employee Self Service (ESS) to verify and update their personal information, including the home or forwarding address, and telephone number.
Exiting employees will also receive a link to complete an optional exit interview survey.
Should you have any questions about this process contact firstname.lastname@example.org or Human Resources at 865-974-6642.
Exit Interviews (optional)
An exit interview is an invaluable source of information that the university can use to assess the quality of work life and identify opportunities for improving employee retention and engagement.
Human Resources uses an automated, web-based exit interview process. Employees who are leaving the university will be sent an email to their UT email address, via the checkout process, with a link to an exit interview survey. The survey will take an estimated 10 minutes to complete and all responses will be kept confidential. The survey will be accessible from a desktop or laptop computer, a tablet, or a mobile phone.
Employees may also elect to schedule an appointment with an Employee Relations Consultant to review and complete the survey in person. Employees may complete a hard copy survey and turn into Human Resources at 105 Student Services Building. If you have questions about exit interviews or other employee retention strategies, contact Human Resources at 865-974-6642 and press five for Employee Relations.
Terminations (e-form required)
For questions regarding e-forms and to process a termination in IRIS, departments should contact Human Resources. This is a separate transaction from the exit process to clear debt.
For more information regarding the types of terminations and termination categories, visit Policy HR0160 on Termination of Employment.
Other Campus Contacts
Departments should direct employees to the contacts below if they have questions about insurance coverage, retirement benefits (for example, transferring a 401[k]), or how to donate unused sick leave to employees in need prior to leaving the university.
- Payroll and Insurance: 865-974-5251
- Benefits and Retirement: 865-974-8259
- Donations for Sick Leave Transfer: 865-974-8299
UT participates in a joint federal and state program that provides benefits to unemployed workers who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own. The state’s Department of Labor and Workforce Development determines the eligibility for, and the amount of any unemployment benefits.
- Send any time-sensitive requests for separation information received from the Department of Labor to HR at 105 Student Services Building for completion or by fax to 865-974-6066.
- Direct employees to contact Human Resources at 865-974-6642 for general unemployment questions. Separation notices are completed by Human Resources upon request.
- Be prepared to provide employees with the unemployment contact information listed below, if requested. HR may also assist in providing this information to exiting employees as needed.
Knoxville Area Office
John J. Duncan Federal Building
710 Locust Street, Room 101
Knoxville, TN 37902-2557
Nashville District Office
US Department of Labor
Wage & Hour Division
1321 Murfreesboro Road, Suite 511
Nashville, TN 37217-2626
Unemployment Claims Center
PO Box 280870
Nashville, TN 37228
For out-of-state claims, contact your local Department of Labor.
For all other questions regarding the exit process, contact Human Resources at 865-974-6642 and press five for Employee Relations.