The university is committed to supporting participation and retention of student employees. Student employment opportunities can provide benefits for students, including eliminating the need to travel off-campus for work, flexible scheduling around their classes and exams, and experience learning and building skill sets that will benefit them while at the university and in their future career path.
An increase to the minimum hiring rate for regular student employees will support this commitment by providing more competitive pay rates for our students. The current minimum hiring rate for student employees is the federal minimum wage, $7.25/hr.
As of July 1, 2023, the minimum hiring rate will increase to $11/hr. This increase will help our students consider employment options at UTK that in turn will keep them more engaged and support student, work, and life balance.
Implementing This Hiring Rate Increase
- All hiring managers will need to reflect the updated rate of $11/hr. on all “Student New Hire” HR transactions beginning July 1, 2023.
- For budget planning purposes, you should make FY24 projections by using your current roster of student employees in IRIS plus any expected additions for FY24.
- Calculate the total expected annual salary for all student employees using the new rate of $11/hr. and create a position change workflow item to update for this total.
- Use the above calculated amount when budgeting in “Adaptive” for cost centers using commitment item 418000- Student Employees.
- FY24 X01 budget due dates:
- December 9, 2022 for support units
- January 31, 2023 for academic, auxiliary and other revenue generating units
- Please visit the BAM Support Teams site for more information on budget deadlines.
- For additional information or assistance in implementing this change, please contact your business manager or departmental/college budget staff.